About Me

Blog-2b resize blog


When someone is called a “Renaissance man” or “Renaissance woman” today, it is meant that, rather than simply having broad interests or superficial knowledge in several fields, he or she possesses a more profound knowledge and a proficiency, or even an expertise, in at least some of those fields.

Am I claiming to be a Renaissance Woman? BOY, I wish I could! However, I find myself being drawn to learning new things and educating myself in different forms. I LOVE art! I LOVE Photography! Music! History! Sewing! Cooking! Homemaking! Motherhood! Marriage! Homeschooling! Writing and Illustrating children’s books, A LOVE for my pets! A love for being outside! A love of sports! Fixing up FIXER UPPERS! And all the while doing my very best to not let them interfere with me wanting to be the best Christian I can be. Yet, never do I feel like I measure up. It’s a balancing act on a very tight rope over the Grand Canyon it seems. With all the many responsibilities I have, I still have dreams and goals and I have a wonderful husband and family that support me in ALL my ventures!

As for the “Southpaw”… Well if you are left handed, then I don’t have to tell ya. But for those of you “RIGHTIES” out there, “Southpaw” has been a term that I have come to somewhat hold dear. It is a boxing and baseball term for a left handed person. And since so many of my interests involve the left hand, Renaissance SOUTHPAW it is!

Being a lefty hasn’t always been easy. I guess it was the first “obstacle” as a young child that I had to overcome. Preschool–scissors–not so easy when they are all right handed. Kindergarten–getting reprimanded by my teacher for using my left and encouraging me to write with my right, this was the 80’s people! High school–the right handed desks…and spiral notebooks….oh the AGONY!!! However, I learned there were advantages to being left handed in sports. No one wanted to play tennis with a lefty ;>) I also learned of the long list of presidents, famous artists, and actors who were/are left handed. We are a creative bunch! And I EMBRACE IT! Just wish some of my children carried the gene.

Sonlight Website Header of my family

Renaissance Southpaw Art



Rebecca has always had a passion for art.  It began in her early childhood as she admired the beautiful oil paintings that her grandmother created and hung on the walls of their family’s home. Rebecca aspired to always be an artist in some shape or form.

She first started working with kids in 1998 as a summer camp counselor, traveling and promoting the small christian college she attended in Tampa, Florida.  Rebecca later went on to work as the Student Tour Coordinator and Docent trainer for the Tyler Museum of Art.  She scheduled tours of the art exhibitions that traveled to east Texas for public, private and home schools within the community. Students were educated on the various artists, mediums, and techniques through group tours. After the tours, children went into the art classroom where they had a hands on experience, recreating what they saw and learned that day.

Rebecca went on to write and illustrate her own children’s books based on her personal experience working in the non-profit world with volunteers. Currently, Rebecca teaches Art classes to 40+ students at a local home-school co-op, where she focuses on educating her students on art history, technique and developing individual creativity.

Contact renaissancesouthpaw@gmail.com for further information and availability on art classes or art parties.

Z14 Greta's Purpose

My Books

Grow books headerI have always dreamed of one day becoming a children’s book author and illustrator. While working as the Director for a non-profit organization I continued to dabble in writing stories, poems, and songs. It was not until I left corporate America to become a stay at home wife and mother that my dreams became a reality. I was constantly inspired by my three dogs, Greta, Rudy, and Opie who were my first children. My writing and artwork have brought much fulfillment into my life and I hope to entertain both young and old with my stories. I live in East Texas with my husband, Jonathan, and our three children, Clara Lee and Katherine Rose, and Canon.

Rebecca is the author of Greta’s Purpose and Rudy’s Path. If you have any questions contact Rebecca : HERE

This slideshow requires JavaScript.